How To Manage Anxiety
When you are dealing with a lot of stress in life it can manifest itself as anxiety. That feeling of doom, of dragging dread and that pit of the stomach feeling of worry? That never really goes away and yet there are so many things that you could be doing to get rid of that feeling. There are so many different strategies that you can use to manage anxiety but if you don’t know what they are, you have a learning curve ahead.
Some people use negative strategies to manage their anxiety. They turn to alcohol and drugs, or they turn to obsessive addictive behavior to manage the worry they are feeling. There are centers like the Sunshine Behavioral Health group that can help you to overcome the addiction resulting from the anxiety, but there are still some positive ways that you can overcome it. With this in mind, here’s a list of great strategies to help you to better manage the anxiety that you’re feeling.
- Remember to breathe. Anxious people often forget to breathe – yes, it’s a thing! They hold their breath for far longer than is necessary, and when you stop breathing, you stop thinking. Slowing your breathing and concentrating on moving that air in and out will help you to stop breathing so shallowly and give you something to focus on.
- Work on your muscles. From the toes up, you want to feel relaxed and that means finding a quiet location and working on releasing the tension in each one as you move up your body. You want to reduce the tension in your muscles so that you can stop seizing and think clearly.
- Work to be present. Anxiety can take you out of yourself sometimes, but if you try to stay present in the moment and focus on the real things around you, you can feel less anxious. Practicing meditation can really help you here!
- Live as healthily as you can. Often, you can help to keep the feelings of anxiety at bay with being well hydrated, keeping active and going out into the world and enjoying nature. All of these things can improve your wellbeing, and that’s how you can combat those feelings of anxiety!
- Challenge yourself. When that voice is telling you that you aren’t good enough, or that you aren’t able to do something, challenge that thinking. Anxiety can make you overestimate everything and talk down to yourself. Challenge those thoughts and ask yourself why you’re thinking that about you when you are excellent
- Plan time to worry. Sometimes it really doesn’t help you when people say ‘just don’t worry about it’. It isn’t easy to just push pause on that worry, so don’t. Instead, just schedule in time to your day to allow yourself to freak out for five minutes, and once you get through it, blow it out until tomorrow. It can make all the difference to how you feel when you give yourself a moment to panic, but not an entire day!